Friday, 28 January 2011

TRAVELLING SLOWLY

TRAVELLING SLOWLY

A PRAYER BY EDDIE ASKEW


Thanks you for your patience, Lord.
For your understanding of my doubts, and errors and weaknesses.
Thank you for coming to me, not in a blinding flash or retribution, but love.

It’s good to know I’m in your hands.
I don’t understand it fully, Lord –
Oh! Let me be honest, I don’t understand it at all – your patience.
‘A thousand years in your sight …’ Yes, I know you’re not limited to time, like me and yet … yet - am I limited to time?

Haven’t you planted eternity in my heart? Lord, maybe that’s where your patience comes from.
From the knowledge that you have time.
All the time in the world. And beyond.
But more, your patience comes from love.
The willingness to pick me up, and start again every time I fall.


It makes me think, Lord if you have all this patience with me, should I have patience too? With myself – not just to indulge myself, not to gloss over the person I am, but to do what you do – pick up the pieces of my life and start again.

Without resentment, without building up that anger against myself which leaves me exhausted, and helpless, and full of guilt.
Knowing that time is in your hands, and so am I.
To accept myself as you accept me.
Knowing all the faults but seeing with the eyes of love and forgiveness.
And, knowing that you do that for me,
help me to do it.
Not only for myself but for others.













No comments: